1.26.2015

In The Spotlight: Kendra J

Another great spotlight for you all! As always, if you are or represent an upcoming artist, designer, producer, etc, please contact us (refer to our Features/Submissions page for more info!).

Today on The Spotlight, we have pop-R&B singer Kendra J! Kendra began singing at the age of five when she sang karaoke for the first time. Around the age of seven, she began singing on the children’s choir at church. “I knew music was something I wanted to pursue in elementary school,” Kendra admitted. “I loved singing for different ceremonies and assemblies. It made me so happy and I knew then because of the feeling of completion and peace that I experienced in those times that singing was what I wanted to do.”


Being from Washington, D.C., Kendra was inspired to be honest and in touch with her emotions, especially when it came to her music. “I didn't have the ideal childhood but I learned to adapt and I started expressing myself with my words. My words were my escape and they still are,” the singer said. “My music/lyrics are definitely a reflection of me. It's my soul that you hear when you hear one of my songs.” Inspired by artists like Amy Winehouse (who inspired her to push the limits as a songwriter) and Guns N’ Roses (who made her fall in love with rock music), Kendra’s musical tastes are very eclectic. It’s great to love a variety of genres, especially for an artist to use those inspirations in his or her own music.



Currently, the singer is working on putting together a great EP for listeners. It’s still in the beginning stages, but Kendra is taking her time to create a project that everyone will love. “I'm trying to make sure the songs and the music as a whole are on point,” she said. “I'm doing something totally different and unexpected and because of that I don't want to rush anything. Once it's done I know the world will love the movement.”

In terms of what sets her apart from the pack, Kendra believes it’s her honest lyrics and sound that makes her stand out. “I believe in my craft and the artistry so it’s bound to be a success,” she said. In the future, she would love to take home a few Grammys, travel the world and sell out shows. “However, most importantly I want to have had inspired people to go after whatever it is they dream of doing, no matter how big or small it may seem,” Kendra admitted. “I aspire to inspire because that's what's in my heart to do.”

You can visit Kendra’s official website and listen to more of her music on SoundCloud. You can also connect with her on Instagram and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...