7.02.2012

REVIEW: BET Awards 2012



Every year since I started Spotlight, I have been recapping the BET Awards, giving my two cents on BET's biggest event of the year. So, of course, I had to keep up the tradition!

Last year's 2011 BET Awards, hosted by Kevin Hart, was pretty good, at least to me. I have come not to expect jaw-dropping amazing shows from BET, but they do good. This show was good too. Not amazing, but good. From the different performances to special appearances to the Whitney tribute, the show was good to watch. I have my negatives, of course, but the good ultimately outweighed the bad. Check out my review of the BET Awards 2012 below!



As always the pre-show kicked things off. Hosted by Rocsi and Terrence J (their last since they're leaving 106 & Park), along with Big Tigger and Tamar Braxton, we got to see celebs hit the red carpet, as well as different performances from artists who haven't quite reached the main stage (some for good reason). There were performances from MGK, the OMG Girlz, and others. It's just the pre-show, so I didn't pay too too much attention. I wasn't interested in most of the music, just the celebrities that the hosts talked to. 


Common Centric Award BET Awards Pre ShowThe first award of the night, the Centric Award, was given to Common. There was also a premiere of Willow Smith's new video for her song, "I Am Me," which she said symbolizes who she is as a person and an artist, and how she doesn't look to others to validate her and her decisions. While I'm not feeling her overall look, she's experimenting with different styles and finding herself I guess, so all power to her.

Now on to the main show. Now, throughout the ENTIRE pre-show, they kept hyping up this opening performance, saying that it was one that we didn't want to miss. I figured it would be Kanye West and it was with the rest of GOOD Music. From the way they talked about it, I was expecting something MAJOR. "Mercy" is a good song, but the performance itself didn't get me hype like that. Kanye also performed "Too Cold," but again, it wasn't live to me. 

Next, the show's host Samuel L. Jackson came out with his own mix to "Ni**as In Paris" with Spike Lee. Spike FREAKING Lee. They were a hot mess with that! And Spike, you don't ever get to say anything to Tyler Perry about coonery and buffoonery ever again, because that's exactly what you gave tonight. Sam, overall as a host, did not impress me. He's a legend in film, I felt like he was invisible the entire night. He wasn't memorable.

Meanwhile Best Group went to Jay-Z and Kanye for obvious reasons. Though I wasn't in love with the performance, their album was great. Usher then took the stage with "Climax." A little pitchy, but I love that song! Next, Taraji P. Henson announced Best Actor is Kevin Hart . Congrats to him! After, 
it was announced that Serena Williams and Kevin Durant took Sportswoman and Sportsman of the Year.

Next, Cedric the Entertainer announced Best New Artist which went to Big Sean who brought his mom out as his date, and shouted her out on stage.

BET had the gospel segment earlier than usual, with Amber Bullock, Yolanda Adams, Y'anna Crawley, and Jessica Reedy performing the gospel hit "You Brought the Sunshine." These ladies KILLED! Nothing like a gospel song! Afterwards, newlywed Meagan Good presented Best Male R&B Artist to Chris Brown, who kept his speech short, sweet, and to the point! Definitely was afraid that he was going to say something smart, especially with this diss track about Drake coming out, but he humbly accepted it and kept it moving.

After a performance from Charles Perry, a part of BET's Music Matters program, Nicki Minaj hit the stage with "Champion" and "Beez In The Trap." No "Starships." Guess she had to get hard since it is BET, but she did a good job. Then one of the greatest moments of the night for me as a fan was when Slaughterhouse announced the Best Collaboration Award which went to WALE AND MIGUEL for "Lotus Flower Bomb!" I've been a major fan since 2008, and I've seen him go higher and higher every year. For him to win a BET Award was a major moment in his career! Now of course, many said that he shouldn't have won, since Beyoncé was nominated, and Jay and Kanye, among others. But people don't realize that even though I'm sure they're grateful to be recognized for their work, they no longer really need a BET Award to validate their careers! If they get it, they get it. If they don't, they don't.  So let my man have his moment! 

The funniest part was when BET came back with the famous Real Husbands of Hollywood skit from last year! This year it featured Kevin Hart again, along with Faizon Love, Anthony Anderson, Fabolous, and Samuel L. Jackson. This was the funniest thing that Sam Jackson was a part of all night! And I found out that the skit is actually going to be a show on BET next spring!

After, LaLa Anthony presented Yolanda Adams the Best Gospel Artist Award, where Yolanda made a good point to tell all of the people in the room to "use their gift responsibly!" We were then blessed by a classic performance from D'Angelo, who killed it! Mindless Behavior and Mike Epps then presented Best Female R&B Artist to Beyoncé!!! When BET slipped Mindless Behavior a terrible and tacky Lauryn Hill joke about her tax evasion charges, Bey quickly got that in check quickly and politely, saying that it was artists like her that are the reasons why she can be in R&B. Sometimes I want to hit whoever is in charge of the lines at these awards. 

Kevin Hart did a little stand up, and presented Maybach Music, who performed Wale's "Bag Of Money" and Meek Mill's "Black Magic!"

After, Busta Rhymes presented Best Female Hip Hop Artist which of course, goes to Nicki Minaj. For the THIRD year in a row. Now, I'm not saying that the girl doesn't deserve an award. She is very talented, and, no matter if you like her or not, she is the biggest female rapper out right now. However, for the past three years, BET has been handing her this award and throwing in people who we haven't heard of, or haven't put out anything, JUST so this girl can get this award. She hasn't had viable competition. I want Missy, Eve, hell, Azealia Banks, and other people who get really make this award a competition rather than just a giveaway. I feel like I say this every year, so I'm done saying it, but I had to get that out. 

Tyler Perry later presented the Lifetime Achievement Award to Maze feat. Frankie Beverly whose career spans over four decades! Joe, Tyrese, and Faith Evans did a medley of the group's hits, and were amazing! Best performances of the night! Frankie and the band busted out with classics "We Are One" and "Before I Let Go." As I was watching everybody jam in the audience, I was thinking to myself, "Who is going to be getting lifetime achievement awards when I'm in my 40s?" We have some greats, but not enough. Not as many as in the decades before us. And artists coming after 2010? Slacking. Just my opinion. 

After the performance, Kerry Washington and Jamie Foxx presented Video of the Year to Jay and Kanye for "Otis." We found out that apparently Jay was supposed to perform with the group, but he and Bey were held up in traffic, which is why they didn't walk the red carpet either. Kerry and Jamie also presented a clip of their new movie "D'Jango Unchained" which also stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel L. Jackson

Chris Brown, who did not get arrested for gun possession in spite of the rumors, performed "Don't Wake Me Up" and "Turn Up The Music." I was not feeling that spray paint on his body, but he sang live and danced. It wasn't his best performance, but it's Chris! I still love when he takes the stage.

The Humanitarian Award was presented to Rev. Al Sharpton presented by Debra Lee. We may joke about his finger wave or whatever, but he has definitely worked hard over the decades to stand against injustice throughout the country.

BET show photoThroughout the night, there were small tributes to legends like Donna Summer, Adam "MCA" Yauch of the Beastie Boys, Etta James, and more who we lost since last year's Awards. The biggest one of the night--the tribute to Whitney Houston! It was amazing! Mariah Carey spoke on Whitney's vocals and performances, as well as their friend. Monica sang Whitney's hit from The Preacher's Wife, "I Love The Lord,' while Brandy hit the stage singing "I'm Your Baby Tonight" and "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". BET got it right. I said to myself, if Brandy and Monica aren't a part of this, as big a role as Whitney played in their lives, it would be a problem. But they got it right!  Her brother Gary Houston performed "Where You Are" and mother Cissy Houston sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and I had to break out tissue, especially when cameras flashed to Pat and Bobbi Kristina crying on each other's shoulders. The cast of Waiting To Exhale, Angela Bassett, Lela Rochon, and Loretta Devine, said a few words before Chaka Khan ripped the stage with "I'm Every Woman" which Whitney covered. It was a great tribute to me! As always, you can't please everybody, with many saying on Twitter that they wanted 

Terrence J and Rocsi and a fan presented the Viewer's Choice Award to Mindless Behavior which was a shock and a half because they beat out Wale, Jay and Kanye, and Beyoncé. But I stick to what I said before. Jay, Kanye, and Bey are not pressed over a BET Award. So let the babies have it and feel on top of the world. Everybody wants that.

Brandy and Lauren London and announced that Lauryn is on The Game as it goes into its six season. I don't see the show without Melanie and Derwin, but get your paycheck Lauren. Still think this should be the last season, though. The pair announced Video Director of the Year went to Beyoncé and Alan Ferguson (Solange's boyfriend).

Tyga performed with Cash Out for the final performance before going into his hit "Rack City" to end the night. The final award went to Chris Brown, who won the Fandemonium Award for the third year in a row! And thus, the end of the awards! Overall, it was a pretty good show. I had my issues, but BET did well. In my mind, no award will ever be worse than the 2009 one, so I've been pretty good with BET since. I liked this show...a lot of exciting moments! What did you think of the BET Awards 2012?

Images via BET

2 comments:

  1. Great review! The BET Awards was pretty good but I agree that Nicki Minaj getting the same award year after year is ridiculous because she has no competition, allowing her to win it easily. Beyonce and Jay-Z were so cute!! Wale did his thing along with the rest of MMG. I really enjoyed the Whitney Houston tribute! RIP Whitney. By the way, Bobbi Kristina was not the girl crying on Pat's shoulder.....that was the niece. Finally, Samuel L. Jackson...where was he? I don't really remember seeing him all night and he wasn't really funny..I wish Kevin Hart was the host this year! #justsayin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked Nicki's performance! And the stupid Lauryn Hill joke smh..pure ignorance. That is all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...