3.29.2016

EDITORIAL: Prayers Up For Kehlani


Very rarely do I write editorials like the one I’m about to write, but this thing bothered me something heavy all day.

By now, many of us have heard that singer Kehlani has been hospitalized after reportedly tried to commit suicide yesterday (March 28). The reported attempt comes shortly after Kehlani’s ex Partynextdoor posted a picture on Instagram. The two of them are holding hands in bed, sparking rumors that she was cheating on Kyrie Irving of the Cleveland Cavaliers, with whom she’d confirmed a relationship in January. From that ONE picture, people went in on her calling her a cheater and a hoe, as if they know her and her situation.

Kehlani posted (and then deleted) the photo below of her in the hospital admitting that she did try to commit suicide, but warned everyone not to believe everything they hear about the circumstances.



It bothers me sometimes of how celebs play out their relationships and drama on Instagram, but it bothers me more how a lot of people react. Calling the girl a “hoe,” saying that this was a publicity stunt, etc., is uncalled for “Oh, why would she try to commit suicide if she hadn’t cheated?” Really? All of these ugly comments really annoyed me. I don’t care if you follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Periscope AND SoundCloud, we don’t know these celebrities. I repeat, WE DO NOT KNOW THESE CELEBRITIES. We don’t know their daily struggles or the behind the scenes drama. We know what they show us. We know what we see online or on TV, and, as a blogger, trust me when I tell you that ain’t as much as we think. Hell, some websites didn’t even bother to check facts and edit their posts and actually are "reporting" that Kehlani is gone. Reports and rumors fly all day, every day. So, therefore, we really don’t know half as much as we think we do, unless it’s confirmed out of an artist’s mouth themselves or their reps, and even then, we have to take things with a grain of salt. Therefore, none of us if anybody really cheated in the first place. We don’t know if this was an old picture Partynextdoor had in his photos and decided to be messy and post. We don’t know if Kyrie and Kehlani secretly broke up two weeks ago, and she got back with her ex and was cuddling in bed. We don’t know these people.

At the end of the day, I’m not too caught up in trying to know HOW or WHY Kehlani tried to end her life. I couldn’t care less that she made the personal choice to post her hospitalization on Instagram. Instead, I’m deeply saddened and more concerned that, whatever happened, she thought she was in that deep of despair that her life was no longer important. I’m saddened that this girl’s life could have been gone. Beyond the fame and even her great music, her LIFE is what’s most important. That’s where the focus should be. Celebrities are out here struggling y’all. Honestly, all of us are up against something. So why do we have to spew hate to those struggling, especially online where we know that nobody can really get to us? Why make it even more difficult for people? It’s cheesy and cliché sure, but I’ve personally lost people in my life, two in particular over this past year, and it shook me to the core. It reminded me how fragile and short life is, and that, underneath it all, behind smiles and laughter, people could be going through some terrible things and feeling like they need to deal with all alone. I know that because I’ve lived that. Take time to show people love, send up prayers and positive thoughts, etc. You never really know what other people are living with from day to day, and how much your words or actions could affect them, either positively or negatively.

This is just my two cents. My whole point in this piece is stop judging circumstances and people that you really know nothing about. Show making light of people's problems, celebrities or not.  Before any more songs or appearances, I hope that this girl gets the help she needs and is able to work through her circumstances, whatever they may be. Prayers up for Kehlani.

Images via The Fader/Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...