3.31.2017

All Good Things Must Come to an End....


Indeed, all good things must come to an end. I’ve made the announcement to some a while ago, but today, I am officially closing down The Spotlight


Moving forward from Spotlight was something I was silently considering for a while now. Not because I felt a disconnect from entertainment writing (I still do that with other sites), or from the entertainment world in general. I’ll always love music, movies, and TV, and continue to write about it elsewhere. But, being a Christian, I’ve been hearing God calling me towards another path. As I started listening and meditating, His voice has become louder, not only through His own words, but through conversations and moments I’ve had with others. I didn’t tell anyone because I didn’t want to be influenced by outside advice. This was a discussion simply between me and God, and I see now where He would have me go.


Of course, I have mixed emotions, because of how much this site has meant to me, not only in my writing career, but also in my personal life. I was really sad to write and publish this last post. From the very beginning since I started the site in 2009, it was my love and passion. It was my way of expressing my love of writing and entertainment, but it also was a huge teacher. It taught me the importance of productive work, working SMARTER and not harder. It taught me consistency and discipline, and efficiency. It taught me that you can make some GREAT money in this world too haha, but you have to be willing to sacrifice and put in the work necessary to make it happen. For that, I will be forever be grateful.

Me at 18 and now. Thank God for the mini glow up! 

When I started the site, I was an 18-year-old trying to find my way not only in the writing world with no experience, but in LIFE. I had just finished my freshman year at Loyola University Maryland, and, outside of knowing that I wanted to be in journalism, had no idea what I was doing. At 26, I have found my purpose. I have managed to build up my freelance writing career, grow in my skills, and make some truly great connections.  I’m also grateful to have been able to feature some amazing upcoming artists, designers, and more, which is something that I’ve always wanted to do. I'm continuing to work towards a better future, but have done a lot for my age. God blessed me to be able to grow so much and continue to grow with this site being the first step in the right direction. So I will forever be grateful for Spotlight.




But, like I said, God is pulling me in a new direction, and I made a commitment that, in 2017 and for the rest of my life, I would actively listen for His voice and move accordingly. So, slowly but surely, I've been making preparations to move on. I'm still writing, but it's a new angle. I've been moved to start a completely new site, Imperfectly B! This new site is a pure project of love for me, as I hope to promote more inspiration to others through my words and stories. I want to write on the feel good, positive stories out there that don’t get as much attention, and share words, music, movies, and TV specials that will serve as motivation to others...and myself in the process. I hope to also feature people who are doing amazing work in their communities and making an impact. That’s what I’ve been working on since earlier this year, and I’m glad that it’ll finally be coming into fruition on May 1! 

I would like to thank Spotlight writer Josh aka Smilez, who has been writing for the site for almost two years now, adding his unique voice and musical tastes, as well as some awesome interviews of his own! I would also like to thank President Ella and the ladies of online magazine JWWWD (Just What We Wanna Do) for supporting me and the site as we brought our sites together for that joint venture. Shoutout to all of the up and coming artists, designers, and so many more that we've been able to feature, and the various PR and music agencies I have connected and worked with to make it happen. I would like to also like to thank you, the readers, for continuing to read, listen, and support the site over the years. It means so much to me! 

The Spotlight will still be available to read, but will not be updated at this time. I may move back towards it in the future, but, for right now, this is a close to this chapter. The story, however, is still continuing!

Again, I thank you all for your support of The Spotlight and I hope that you will all follow me over at Imperfectly B, which officially launches on May 1! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...