4.08.2014

Black Girls Rock: Rock! Like A Girl Concert

A few weeks ago, I got a message from a particular MeetUp group I joined (though I have yet to actually meet up with anyone haha) about a free event at the Kennedy Center for Black Girls Rock! The event, formally titled Rock! Like A Girl, was an open concert held on April 5 as a part of the One Mic Festival that the Kennedy Center has been hosting for the past week or so that will continue until April 14 (definitely check it out!).

This special event celebrated women in hip hop, and featured artists like MC Lyte, Jean Grae,  Miri Ben-Ari, Ana Tijoux, DC female go go band Be'la Dona, Rapsody, DJ Beverly Bond (the founder of BGR), and the amazing Ms. Lauryn Hill!!!!! I mean, how many people can say that they've actually seen Ms. Hill LIVE?! My cousin and I went down, and had an amazing time! Standing in a line wrapped around the corner was definitely worth it, and we got to chat and chill with a few great people as well (special shout out to Ariel and her little baby Ky!)

I really did enjoy myself, and, as a black girl myself, am very proud of the work that DJ Beverly Bond is doing with this amazing foundation! As you can tell from the videos, we were definitely rocking in there! It was an honor and pleasure to be able to sit back and enjoy these talented ladies rock the mic, and just nice to get out and do something fun! I've been so caught up in work that I forget to live. (I'll talk more about that on BrittanyShawnte.com later this week). I had a great time! 

Check out the videos below!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...