2.13.2010

We Are The World 25th Anniversary



When I first heard about the "We Are The World" remake Lionel Richie and Quincy Jones were doing with several of our current musical artists, I, along with several others I'm sure, was skeptical. I didn't know how it would be along side the 1985 original which, of course, featured the late great Michael Jackson, along with other talented artists of that time. When taking a listen to this updated version, I couldn't help smiling and laughing a a little, because you can definitely tell that the song has crossed over to reach my generation. I mean, you got T-Pain with his autotune, Justin Bieber and even Lil Wayne singing, and a whole rap verse featuring Snoop Dogg, LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes, among others. It was definitely cool to see LOL. And the crowd was sooooo diverse. I mean, you had Mary Mary, Pink, Gladys Knight, Mary J. Blige, Fergie, my girl Jennifer Hudson, Celine Dion, Adam Levine, Toni Braxton, Miley Cyrus, Akon, Wyclef Jean, Usher, and so many other artists. Michael Jackson parts were featured as well. So watch the remake and the original and give thoughts about each one. The videos are featured after the jump.



"We Are The World" 2010


"We Are The World" 1985


It was a good remake to me. Other people may not think so, but I would say that, just like the 1985 version, this remake had a purpose. Its purpose was to show the world that we can all come together AS ONE, no matter what our differences, to lend a helping hand to those in need. And that's what matters. Not who was featured, not how it was sung, but the true purpose behind the song's original meaning. Seeing so many different artists in different genres was a beautiful sight to me.

The "We Are The World: 25 For Haiti" 2010 version of the 1985 Classic was dedicated to the Haiti disaster. It can be downloaded at World 25.org. All proceeds go to helping the Haitian people rise again. So please give. They need us.

PEACE.

~Brittany Shawnté

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...